There is no official serving size for CBD, so figuring out the best dosage for your desired effects depends on a few factors.
The first thing to know is that everyone reacts differently to external cannabinoids like CBD. Although many products recommend the best CBD oil dosage based on your body weight, this doesn’t necessarily work for everyone.
Some people may be more sensitive than others and would notice positive changes from a lower dose. In fact, taking more CBD than you need may actually be less effective. This is why starting with a lower dose and working your way up slowly is the best way to pinpoint how much CBD you need to meet your therapeutic goals.
How often should you take CBD?
You can take one dose 1–3 times daily. This depends on your symptom severity. If you would describe your symptom severity as high or very high, you may benefit from taking three CBD doses in one day. If your symptom burden can be described as low or medium, taking CBD 1–2 times daily should be effective.
The time of day you take CBD will also impact its efficacy for your specific symptoms. A good rule of thumb is to take CBD about one hour before your symptoms typically become noticeable. For example, if you want to improve your sleep, take your CBD dose about one hour before bedtime. And keep in mind that the effects of a lower dose will last about three hours, while a higher dose will last about six hours.
CBD Oil Dosage Guidelines
- There is no official serving size for CBD — Everyone reacts differently to cannabinoids, so you need to determine what dose works best for you.
- Less is more — Taking more CBD than you need may actually be less effective. This is why starting with a lower dose and working your way up slowly is the best method.
- Use it daily — To fully experience the positive effects of CBD, it’s best to use it consistently. You can take one standard dose 1-3 times daily.
- Determine the dosage for you — To do that, follow these steps:
- Know your goals — establish what you are trying to achieve with CBD oil. What symptoms do you want to improve?
- Pinpoint your symptom severity — would you describe your symptom severity as low, medium, high or very high?
- Give it time — start with the lowest recommended dosage for your symptoms and weight. If you don’t notice positive effects within 3–7 days, increase your dose by 1–5 milligrams. Repeat this step until you find your personal optimal dose.
No matter what type of CBD product you decide to use, pure CBD oil has the same bioavailability, or ability to enter your bloodstream and produce beneficial effects. However, the potency and concentration of your CBD oil product will alter its effect.
Opt for products that are made with pure CBD oil and allow you to take control of the exact dosage. Plus, full spectrum products have shown to be even more beneficial because CBD has synergistic effects with other cannabinoids that are found naturally in hemp.
To enhance the absorption of oral CBD products from tinctures, let the oil sit under your tongue for about 30 seconds before you swallow it. Why? Because the sublingual gland under your tongue may allow more CBD to reach your bloodstream.
- If there’s one major takeaway from this information, it’s that finding the best CBD oil dosage for yourself, a loved one or a pet depends on a few factors, but is primarily based on how the person responds to CBD. Everybody reacts differently, which is why it’s best to start with a lower dose of about 10 milligrams and determine whether or not that dose improved specific symptoms.
- If there’s no perceived therapeutic value after 3 days of use, increase the dosage by 10 milligrams until you find what amount works best.
Reference: Christine Ruggeri, CHHC 3/11/19